Amazon S3 is a high-durability key-value store.
To use S3 with Perkeep, you need to:
- Sign up for an Amazon Web Services account
- Sign into the AWS console, navigate to ‘S3’
- Create an S3 bucket for your Perkeep backups (Perkeep will not work if you put other files in this bucket)
- Configure your Perkeep server to sync blobs to the S3 bucket
It is advisable to use a dedicated key/secret for Perkeep:
- Sign into the AWS console, navigate to ‘Identity & Access Management’ and click ‘Users’
- Click ‘Create new users’ and create a user for Perkeep (keep ‘Generate an access key’ checked)
- Click ‘Show User Security Credentials’ to get the users Access key and Secret key - these will be required to configure Perkeep and can't be obtained after you leave this screen.
- Go back to the user list and select the new user, and on the ‘permissions’ tab add the following ‘inline policy’ (replacing YOUR_BUCKET_NAME with the name of the bucket you created)
Finally, add the s3 config line to your Perkeep